Saturday, August 15, 2009

Flying Solo (with special caption contest)

(_________________)

Before you read about my musings on Life, have a go at creating a caption for the above picture. I couldn't find words for it, so maybe you can. Just post a comment with your caption. The winner will be announced one week from today (Saturday August 22nd) and will receive a suprise NZ gift item to be personally delivered by me just before Christmas.

Moving to a new place is always exciting. But the inevitably of that excitement wearing down is a fact. Much like a long ride along the NZ coastline, there are ups and downs. Busy times, and not so busy times. That has been my experience so far. The first week was new, fresh, exciting and busy. I was thrown into the classroom, was trying to get my living arrangements in order, and had some form of physical/social activity planned for every night of the week. Then reality hit. And last night (yes, Friday) I sat at home and watched Australian Idol. That is a new low. I hate TV, especially reality TV! But such is life in a new city. Settle in. Meet new people. Make friends (I currently have 3, woohoo!) and get on with life. That's where I'm at now. Joe Dirt taught me that sometimes you just have to "keep on keepin' on."

I hadn't been riding much this week and suddenyl I was motivated. I found 2 races to enter in the coming weeks and decided I was going riding both days this weekend. Today was ride #1. It was my first solo ride with the intent of getting good miles in, not getting from Point A to Point B (which has been all of my riding lately. Going to school and back. Going to a friend's house and back. Going to Burger Fuel and back, which incidentally is the greatest Burger chain on Earth).

So here are a few pics from that ride. Enjoy.



(gorgeous tree lined road next to a golf course)


(view from the hill, visible in the previous photo, I climbed)


(when flying solo, your bike becomes the focal point)

(the city of Auckland)

(views from the top)


(rugby. it's everywhere. maybe i should learn to like it.)


(island with a name i don't know. too many islands around here)


(at the bottom of the hill)


(Takapuna beach)


(kebel)
And now, an almost 360 degree panoramic video from the top...

7 comments:

  1. I should explain. My caption for the top picture is "The Stinker." You are in deep thought, and you must be smelly from your ride up there. Therefore, thinking + smelly = The Stinker. I hope you like it and I better win the contest! Aunt Mary you are going down!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, not like you moved downt he street.

    two possible captions

    1)what was that chick's name anyway

    2)I see Adam and Lonke off the front with the rest of my Max Edge homies in tow

    Hang in man, life's a journey full of adventures

    ReplyDelete
  3. B.O.B - You know it's true. Keep sending things man, it has been great living through you for the past few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. caption "Wish I had legs to ride this bike lying behind me."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caption 1 : Where did I leave my bike?

    Caption 2: It looks like it's going to thunderstorm. Why don't I get off my bike(instead of looking for shelter) and wait in this open area to get struck by lightning.

    Caption 3: I ate too much cheese and found a gopher hole to poop in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1) "Comfortably Uncomfortable"

    I think my first one works the best however if we're going for truth and accuracy check out #2.

    2) "I wish this steamer would go away so I can get back to my ride"

    Cheers Brother,
    PICHE

    ReplyDelete