(my 'i think i should hurry' face)
...perfect for night mountain biking. Off to the Woodhill Mountain Bike Park. Beaker (friend of a friend) drove us out there with his borrowed Canadian steed on the back.
yup. that's a Kona Stinky.
Rex, another friend of that friend, met us three there with bikes for us to borrow. Awesome. Saved me some cash on the rental. The bike? Legendary. Why? It was Rex's commuter and included this...
So here I am, on my first moutain bike ride in New Zealand on an undersized, kick-standed commuter bike with the wrong pedals for my bike shoes (this equals slippage and danger on good trails, which this was). No worries. This trail system was fantastic. Like a Nutella Crepe. Perfection all wrapped up in a nice package. It was like Pinckney, but better climbing, more fun stuff (teeter-totters, bridges, jumps, boardwalks) and it seemed HUGE. The four of us were plodding along nicely for about an hour until I watched Rex's borrowed bike's back end explode in front of me on a descent. Derailleur eaten by wheel. Awesome. He coasted down the main dirt road and the rest of us managed our way down via trail. I'm completely hooked. I now need a moutain bike and a car to get me there. Send either if you have them lying around (Jim, that MTN bike is just sitting there, dude).
Tonight I was back at the volleyball. That might be the last. I can't keep up with the kids on the court anymore.
Tomorrow night I get to see the DT Auckland scene. And my teacher freinds are having drinks after school to welcome me. Yeah, drinks in the school. More on the school (Rangitoto College)and my job next week. I'm having too much fun posting about the fun!
I'll leave you with some pics and video of the Mountain bike adventure.
Special night forest scene picture.
Kate, my new New Zealand friend that grew up in Windsor.
Super Cool Chick.
Shout out to Le Cullion, formerly known as The Butcher, now known as The Mad Butcher.
Trail Entrance
teeterFAILtotter
teeterPASStotter

Hope the teaching/riding is going well. Keep me posted
ReplyDelete-Mike Quinn
Thanks for the shout out. Live it up.
ReplyDeleteHaha, Helmets?!?! They really are backwards down there!! But seriously I was very surprised to here you had trouble with directions...unheard of!!
ReplyDeletesincerely jealousy
ps. pigtails are hot.
ReplyDelete