Monday, December 13, 2010

Nepal and Beyond...

I've been loving my new life down here in good ol' Palmy since Friday, and now I'm facing a month long sabbatical from it. I realize that sounds like complaining, and if you know where I'm headed for the next 30 plus days, you'll probably want to kick me somewhere for complaining about it. But I'm not really complaining, just trying to express the odd feeling I'm experiencing.

Tomorrow I fly back to Auckland, where I will sit in the airport until the afternoon when 3 mates of mine will meet me and we'll begin our journey. We make our way to Sydney, then quickly on to Bangkok for an overnight layover. Then we're off to Delhi the next evening, where we have another overnight layover. In the morning we're finally off to our final destination: Kathmandu. From there we begin a 21 day adventure of the Annapurna Circuit, located in the Nepalese Himalayas. This should be an incredible journey, filled with new sights, tastes and smells (some good and some bad I'm guessing), and many, many digital pictures.

But I'm not excited...yet. I'm still taking in the life changing experience I just had; moving to Palmerston North to be with Lauren. That change is just sinking in and I'm off again. I imagine the realization of the Nepal experience won't quite sink in until I'm sitting in an airport I've never been in, waiting for my next connection.

The past month has been incredible. Work was winding down and so many good people have wished me well on the next part of my journey. I've made a tonne of friends in Auckland and I will mis them dearly. Hopefully we'll cross paths again, but I'm sure we will at some point. At least with the ones I meant to, anyway.

Weekends have been filled with new adventures with Lauren, whether it be camping at various places halfway between Auckland and Palmy, dog sitting, bubbly or dinner or beer on the beach, or last minute deciding to see Jack Johnson play live in New Plymouth (one of the greatest concerts I've ever been to, and I've seen some good ones). It's been absolutely magical, sometimes unbelievable and other times not very SMRT...but hey, they were all good times and well worth all the driving at odd hours of the day and night.

Tomorrow is a new journey for me, but I am absolutely ecstatic knowing that I have Lauren and a new journey to begin with her back in Palmerston North. I've never been so excited for the future.

I'll, as usual, leave you with a few pics from the past weekends. Enjoy. See you in January with many new stories and pictures.

Deserted beach where we had dinner and played beer darts. That's Mt. Taranaki in the distance.


A walk at dusk on that deserted beach.
With the dogs, Tahi (on right) and Cara (we were dogsitting her) at Huka Falls near Taupo.

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic update Dante! I'm so happy to hear things are going so well on your end. Sounds like some good times are ahead. I look forward to seeing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete