Thursday, April 29, 2010

Aussie Aussie Aussie

Australia. Before I crossed the ditch I worried about slithery and crawly things that carry venom, as that is what the continent of Australia is known for. OK, maybe I didn't so much worry as much as think I would encounter SOMETHING while I was visiting. In actuality, I did encounter all of the classic and cliched Aussie fauna. They just all happened to be in cages.

The trip was for two weeks in which I would visit friends in Sydney and Bundaberg and fill in the gaps as I went. In Sydney I was also to celebrate the departure of my twenties. Not a whole lot of exciting things happened, like almost dying in a cyclone, but it was a fantastic vacation and I definitely see myself going back to visit some other cities and few more remote spots in the northern tropics.

Some highlights:
-Going to a Cronulla Sharks game vs. the Eeels. They snapped a 13 (?) game losing streak that night. It poured. So did the beer. We snuck down front row and were constantly yelling at the same player over and over. My friends had some inside info about this player and we let him know about it. Fantastic introduction to the National Rugby League.
-Attempting to surf. This would be my second attempt at this Aussie obsession. Kim and Paul (my friends who hosted me in Sydney) live in a a surfy beach town kind of suburb. I am terrible. They were probably sharks lurking. The payoff isn't as great as the work. Put me on a board with fresh powdery snow all around and I'm a happy man.
-Visiting Rich, Wendy and little RJ in Bundaberg. I palyed volleyball with Rich in University and he has since moved to Bundaberg. They have a lovely home and an adorable 6 month old boy, RJ. It was great to see them. While they I toured the rum factory, cycled to the beach, played golf, got two books read, played basketball, and just enjoyed the company of the Radfords.
-Back in Sydney, I crossed off every item on the list my buddy Jeremy (who used to live in Sydney) made for me to get done: Bondi Beach, Bondi Junction food court (strange, yes), The Rocks, Darling Harbour, King's Cross (what a gong show of young people crawling around from bar to bar), Manly Beach...I think that's it.
-Seeing an English singer/guitarist/magician Newton Faulkner live in concert with Kim and Paul. I've never heard of him until that night but I was an instant fan.
-Celebrating my birthday in Sydney, two nights in a row. Star City Casino took a nice donation from me one of those nights!

Alright, enough writing. Here's a few pics...
In our stolen seats at the Sharks game.
And it rained all night...


...The drops were the size of your hand and face.


Typical touristy shot.


That big property on the right is the P.M.'s residence. We went to a party one night at the apartment 2nd from the right. Amazing views of the Harbour Bridge and DT Sydney.


Large spiders live here.


So do large Flying Foxes.


My mates Paul (from Australia) and Kim (a Canuck that went to U of W with me).
They were kind enough to put up with me for a week and show me around Sydney.


Kim's friends were in town and we all went bowling...lawn bowling that is.


The Radford's little man, RJ.
"Get that camera outta my face!"


Bundaberg. Lots of this...


...And this.


The Harbour Bridge in Sydney.


A closer look. See the people walking on the top of it?
Somehow I managed to avoid that adventure.


Sydney at dusk.


One of the world's deadliest snakes. In a cage, thankfully.


A 4.5 metre "saltie", up close and personal.


The croc's keeper.
Missing finger...check.
Croc tooth necklace...check.
Redneck facial hair...check.
Crazy stories...check.
Apparently, this guy worked on the set of Crocodile Dundee looking after the crocs.


He was MASSIVE.


These next pics are for my niece and nephews.
Koala!
They just sit around most of the day and eat.


Having a feed.


Lazy buggers.

1 comment: