Thursday, November 26, 2009

Bookends of Pain

Last weekend I followed the Scottish cyclist around the country roads for just over 100km. The ride produced the following equation:

Too many 4 km long 7km/h climbs + hot weather - lack of nutrition and fluids = my very own hurt locker.

I call it Dante's Locker.

Obviously my locker needs a better name. As I sometimes do, I'm asking for your help. Any and all suggestions are welcome. If I choose your name for my hurt locker you'll recieve a special NZ gift, courtesy of me. I'm sure Anonymous has something on offer.

After the ride I arrived home, curled up in bed and did my best to keep down the water I just drank. I knew I needed water and food, but the desire to sleep was taking over. I forced sustenance down and my roommates nursed me back to health with this strange drink that looked like water but tasted like milk. I don't get it either.

Why have I told this sad story about how I can't cope on a road bike when following the Scottish guy? Because I'm hoping that last Saturday's suffering (followed by a 5am 50km ride Tuesday morning) was enough to prepare me for this Saturday...The Wattyl Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge. Upon investigating the previous year's installment of said race, I came to realize that only 9 people finished the NZ Solo combo. How many attempted is anyone's guess, but the point is that I think I'm in for a world of hurt, and I can't wait. I'm shooting for 6 hours.

Forecast for this Saturday? 14 degrees celcius and rain. Perfect.

Check back Sunday to find out if I survived.

2 comments:

  1. 1)i'm stumped
    2)enjoy the view, it sounds awesome
    3)The winner for your age group took NINE hours...hell, this should be an easy MaxEdge victory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cullion has his Hurt and Dante has his Hell...or in Italian, Dante's Inferno. Seems like an obvious choice.
    -0877

    ReplyDelete